Saturday, October 24, 2009

Crave Brothers Les Frères & Holly Springs Goat Cheese

Crave Brothers Les Frères
Comes from: cows
Purchased at: Whole Foods
$12.99/lb (Okay, that is pretty much impossible. Yet the only photo I have does not do a great job of reproducing the cheese-price. So... sorry, I have no idea what this cheese costs.)

"Will this cheese taste like French muenster?" I asked the dude in the square glasses who is sometimes at Whole Foods here.
"Yes," he said.
"Okay..." I said. "How much will it taste like feet?"
"It's an amazing cheese," he said. "The cheese-makers' father was Irish, and their mother was French, and they wanted to do something to combine the two."
"Uh-huh," I said. "So it'll taste like feet, then."
"It's a little pungent," he said. "But it's delicious."

Okay, so here is the thing: This cheese doesn't really taste like feet at all, which just goes to show you that sometimes the people who work at Whole Foods, *even at the cheese counter*, don't know what they're talking about.

Onnnn the other hand, this cheese *is* fantastic. Fantastic! That is how good this cheese is. It is not quite runny like brie, though it'd probably get at least minimally runny if you let it sit out at room temperature for longer than I was willing to let it sit out at room temperature before I ate it. But it just has a wonderful flavor to it, not at all foot-y, just... oh, it is so good. (Actually, the flavor was a teeny bit reminiscent of cheddar, which, given my history with cheddar, should not have appealed to me. What can I say? I am nothing if not inconsistent.)

I liked this cheese a lot.

-----

Holly Springs Goat Cheese
Comes from: goats
Purchased at: Whole Foods
$24.99/lb

This cheese is okay, a solidly enjoyable, moderately firm and dry goat cheese. Nothing spectacular, but still delicious and just great for munching. I wished I could pair it with fig jam or something similar, but I don't have any in the house right now. (Note to self: Fig jam! FIG JAM.)

1 comment:

Rachel W. said...

"Will this cheese taste like French muenster?" I asked the dude in the square glasses who is sometimes at Whole Foods here.

"Yes," he said.


GAME OVER, man. Way to be doughty and undeterred and not in the least trepidatious, etc., but if you ask the French muenster question and the guy says yes, that is not the cheese you should buy.

It disturbs me that you learned nothing from our earlier experience. If Lamarck were right, and you had a mate, your offspring would be pissssssssed, assuming they survived infancy.