Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cheese party: I recommend the bucherondine, maybe the romao, always the pecorino.

Port Salut
Comes from: cows
$11.99/lb

Meh. Bland.

Pecorino Romano
Comes from: cows
$14.99/lb

I love pecorino, because it is the saltiest of cheeses. Also, crunchy.

Romao
Comes from: sheep, also rosemary
$17.99/lb

As Rachel said, this cheese doesn't need *all* the rosemary it's wrapped in, but it's still delicious.

Big John's Cajun
Comes from: Utah milk (cows), also garlic and pepper and celery salt
$19.99/lb

Meh. It's okay -- I'm still trying to figure out why this cheese tastes "cajun" to me; I think it's the garlic -- but it's nothing spectacular. Nice try, Mormons.

Pyreneese Ossau Iraty
Comes from: sheep
$18.99/lb

I like ossau iraty, so there.

Cypress Chevre Bermuda Triangle
Comes from: goats
$22.99/lb

Oh, triangle-cheese.

St. Andre
Comes from: cows
$14.99/lb

For a low-market brie, this cheese is just fine. Seriously.

Sea Hive
Comes from: Utah milk (cows), honey
$19.99/lb

I'm not sure I could really taste the honey in this one. Maybe Rachel could.

Bucherondine
Comes from: goats
$12.99/lb

Wow. I'm not exactly sure why this cheese was so cheap, but it's the clear standout in my mind. Wow.

1 comment:

The House Mouse said...

I agree about St. Andres. It has become a staple on our cheese plates (although I do get bored with it after a while). Bucherondine is pretty remarkable and I agree that it should cost twice as much. Hope they don't think so as well!

I have added your blog to my links. Maybe you could do the same?

http://thehousemouse.wordpress.com/