Sunday, August 17, 2008

Aged Mimolette

Aged Mimolette
Comes from: cows
Purchased at: Whole Foods
$19.99/lb

I'll be honest. I bought this cheese entirely because it is unnaturally orange. I mean, look at it! Only extra-sharp Wisconsin cheddar is that color, and that's because the kindly Wisconsinites add orange dye to it to warn us fellow Americans that THIS PRODUCT HERE MIGHT HAVE TASTE. CONSUME WITH CARE.

(Okay, actually the internets tells me that annatto, which this cheese contains, is the source of sharp cheddar's coloring, too. The more you know!)

(This cheese also contains RENNET, everyone's favorite cow stomach lining. HOORAY.)

Anyway. Despite the EYE-BURNING COLOR, this cheese is surprisingly mild in flavor. I mean, it *kinda* reminds me of Parmesan, but that could be -- in fact, I'm 90% sure it is -- because the cheese is as firm as Parmesan, if not more so. Not especially sour, a little salty... Yeah, mild. I don't know what else to call it but mild.

On the other hand, the color is impressive as hell, so if you want to bust up some mimolette for your next party and serve it on toothpicks, I'm sure you'll impress. I mean, unless your guests know anything about cheese, right? NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT CHEESE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Except... it looks nothing like cheese. I think it's some kind of vegetable? Check - you may have eaten a large wedge of sweet potato. And that's okay!

It might also be Muppet flesh, though, so I wouldn't inquire too closely.