Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another blog?

So here's the thing. I like cheese. I like cheese a lot. I like all cheeses, with the possible exception of French muenster and I guess some equally-rotting-gym-socks-like cheeses I haven't tried yet.

Anyway.

Problem is, I like cheese so much that I'll eat whatever kind is in front of me, and more importantly, I won't remember its name later. I can't remember whether it's mahon or manchego I'm more fond of, whether I do or don't like gruyère, whether there's really any difference between camembert and brie. And that's unacceptable to me, because obviously I feel the need to catalogue everything (see: my other blog). So in this here blog, I'm going to try and diary my cheeses. I don't know big fancy words like... I don't know, what words do you use to try to describe cheese? "Airy"? "Sun-kissed"? "Malodorous"?

Anyway.

I can't find "Litvak palate" explained or even mentioned anywhere on the internet, but a doctor I once worked with told me that the Litvaks were known for their great affection for dairy products. (And then he blamed me for his mother's heart attack, and we laughed merrily at the joke.)

Annnnd since I am somewhat Litvak, and as a child my parents had to establish a "three licks" rule because I used to lick the butter off my melba toast in diners and then reapply and repeat, annnnnnnd since my great-aunt is approximately two divisions more Litvak than I am, and once, at supper with us at a fancy-pants restaurant, proceeded to decimate a stick of butter with only her knife and without any bread involvement at all (slice -- move knife to mouth -- slice again), well, I am declaring it true.

Welcome to Litvak Palate, kids. We'll see how long this lasts.

1 comment:

XE said...

Oh man Gabbiana. I absolutely *love* that you started a blog about... cheese, of all things. That is too awesome for words!

(Random: the word verification for this is dangerously close to "vajayjay", and I almost giggled further proving that I am indeed actually 12).