Sunday, July 12, 2009

Torta Serena and Cypress Chevre Midnight Moon.

Serena! Look! There is a cheese named for you!

Cheese-blog! Look! I am back! For a little while! For this post, specifically! I HAVE MISSED YOU SO MUCH AND BY "YOU," I MEAN "CHEESE."

(There is no cheese in China. Kate and I were supposed to go to Parc for the cheese plate after we got back but then I moved and she started being a surgeon and it never happened because I SUCK.)

Anyway.

-----

Torta Serena
comes from: sheep
purchased at: Whole Foods
$24.99/lb

This cheese, I think, ranks a solid okay-to-good. The texture when I cut it was surprisingly grainy, but it turned out to be very soft at room temperature, not runny or anything, but solid-soft, turning gummy when I chewed it. Not at all a sheepy flavor; not a very powerful flavor at all. I dunno; just not my favorite. Not *bad*, not by any means, but just... not my favorite. Sorry, Serena.

-----

Cypress Chevre Midnight Moon
comes from: goats
purchased at: Whole Foods
$27.99/lb

You know, I was going to snark on this cheese's name -- who the hell names a cheese "midnight moon"? it is a cheese, not a selection on late-night Cinemax -- but whatever, it is a pretty good cheese and I suppose the cheese-makers can call it whatever they want. A medium-hard cheese (high, I arbitrarily made that designation up right now!), solid goat flavor, not overpowering. Just... good. I ate this one much faster than the other one, is what I am saying. So fast I didn't have time to think! That is what this cheese did to me.

-----

Also, yesterday at my local Whole Foods, all the featured sample-cheeses were cheddar. Which, guys, hi, it's *just cheddar*. I mean, yes, Seaside and Quickeus and Keen's and that Australian cheddar you guys made up? Okay, that last one was pretty good. But it's *cheddar*. Moving on.

1 comment:

Serena said...

GUMMY? MY CHEESE IS GUMMY????